I actually quite like video conferencing to communicate with family across the globe (I'm German, my wife is Australian). I've done job interviews on Skype, too. But I wouldn't use it on a regular basis, particularly not in a work context.

But as far as I can see a large part of the iPhone market is hip young teens (or whatever they are referred to nowadays). I can certainly see them pick up the feature.

In a way it seems similar to the idea of mobile browsing, which had been around for a long time before the iPhone did it. But not only was the browser better on the iPhone, it also came with plans that included data. While I don't see the same extreme change happening in the market (since video telephony doesn't seem as useful), I could see Apple causing a bit of a shift in the market again.

  Peter