On 8/17/10 08:59 , Miroslav Pokorny wrote:
> J2me was crappy and simple because the phones were crappy and
> simple. It would and was hard for all vendors to build anything
> what we could call useful and sophisticated. Nobody really used
> even the native business apps on those machines. Everything about
> them was limited and it's no surprise j2me was aswell.

There were other reasons too.

1) As it has been said, the JSR process itself didn't work for JME:
too bureaucratic and slow, we've been waiting for JME 3.0 for years.
2) The idea of partitioning JME in modules didn't work, as it created
a high fragmentation.
3) There was clearly poor testing as there are JME components broken
in some models.

Google is working because it has more strenght than Sun and sort of
imposed its own solutions:

1) Basically it's Google that decides what to put in Android. I
suppose they listen to some manufacturer, but in the end they are the
ones that decide without any commitee. Right?
2) The platform is not partitioned: there's a conspicuous core that is
always available. There's fragmentation because of time (= versions),
but that's another story.
3) I don't know whether there's better testing, but the fact that
there is a single implementation, eventually tailored, rather than
specs that are independently implemented is good.

Note that Sun did try to pursue this trail with OpenMoko (remember
it?). But having only an obscure phone manufacturer supporting it
didn't make it to win... There were no endorsement by the industry.
Also, recall that OpenMoko was also about the open design of hardware.
Big mistake, because manufacturers clearly aren't interested on that.
I've a deeply strong affection with Sun, but in too many cases they
played academic, implying their bad fate.

Now, what really disappoint me is to read "Larry is only about
money...". Google is too, let's try to come down to the real world. As
mP said, Google has created the Android business because they want to
have a big feed of traffic and ads driven by mobile phones to their
services (search engine and etc...). The relationship among Google and
the phone manufacturer is clearly more balanced towards Google, who's
got the complete control, than at the times of Sun. So, the winning
solution came out not from a "democratic" (in quotes) JSR context,
where power and decisions are distributed among partners, but in a
context where the owner of the technology is the master. I'd keep this
analogy under our eyes when we think on how to make Java stronger.

Yes, the use of patents is disappointing. That's life: until they are
there, they're supposed to be used. It's also disappointing that
Oracle doesn't explain what they want to do. I don't think there's a
strategic need for that - it has been said that the complaint came
after months of negotiations, so I believe that Google perfectly knows
what Oracle wants from them. If it's true, note that neither Google is
transparent towards the community since they're not telling us what's
really on the table. For what concerns the debate about the network
neutrality, Google is going to move forward (and I'm not saying it's
bad, it's another complex discussion) just with agreements with the
carrier, without asking the community and the users for what they
think of it.

As a final note, I think that we ourselves can do harm to our
interests if we keep on screaming "Java is doomed" five minutes after
something happens. We can and we _must_ complain against everything,
and loudly, if we feel bad - but, for the sake of rationality, after
getting a decent comprehension of what's happening. A fact that hasn't
occurred yet.

- --
Fabrizio Giudici - Java Architect, Project Manager
Tidalwave s.a.s. - "We make Java work. Everywhere."
java.net/blog/fabriziogiudici - www.tidalwave.it/people
fabrizio.giud...@tidalwave.it