The big thing I keep seeing in all this "concern about Oracle" is that
people continually forget or ignore WHY Sun and Java is now owned by Oracle:
Sun focused on the wrong things (including being OVERLY concerned with the
community) which led to them losing money year after year after year
basically from 2001 til the end.

And like it or not, companies exist to make money (which benefits us by
allowing us to get paid to work for them).

So yes, Oracle is going to change some stuff.... and in fact they MUST
change the things that made Sun non-profitable.

And unfortunately the things that make companies profitable are not always
"community" friendly. We as engineers love "open source" b/c it means our
projects are more profitable and we look like heroes which leads to big
raises + bonuses. But there wasn't much profit in that model for Sun and
Oracle is smart enough to know there won't be for them either.

As far as the JDK lawsuit, like most things in life, I suspect the truth
will end being somewhere in the middle (part money grab by Oracle, part
legitimate beef against bastardization of technology they paid a fortune to
acquire). But I seem to recall Sun suing a company several years back on
similar grounds... and in that case there was no community angst b/c the
target of the suit was everyone's favorite "evil software tycoon" Micro$oft.

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 5:28 PM, Fabrizio Giudici <