@casper

"I am certain Android attracts engineers over because it's open" - that was
my point (warm and fuzzy) and they do this to get engineers to come to
Android.

It not like they are opening their search engine code,  adWords,  Big Table
(yes white paper and it been copied),  GFS, GWS and any other important
code. :)