My current job has turned out to be more telecommuting than I expected, but
it was not setup as that. The first couple months were all in the office. It
evolved over time as the team got used to each other.

I don't know of many companies willing to outright hire telecommuters. Sun
did that a lot, but they were an exception, not the rule. Many companies
such as Amazon.com where I spent 2 years just don't work that way. There is
so much going on that you really need to be there in the office and/or close
by. There is a lot of benefit from having developers close together.

I live in Cincinnati which has the same problem you have. Not a lot of
demand for my skills and the high end jobs are filled or would require many
years of working at the company to get into.

Looking forward to seeing what other answers pop out of this discussion.

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 9:35 AM, Jan Goyvaerts <java.arti...@gmail.com>wrote:

> *Very* interesting question ! I would actually like very much to do this
> in Belgium.
>

> On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 23:32, John Urberg <jurb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am a Java Architect and live in an area where there are few
>> opportunities for my skills.  The only option I can think of besides
>> moving back to the Twin Cities is telecommuting.  I am interesting in
>> finding out how many of you on the list are working a full time
>> telecommute job.  For those of you that are, how did you find a
>> telecommuting job and how has it been working out?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> John
>>
>> --
>>

>  --