My intention is not as sensational as my subject, but it's succinct so
I'll go with it.

In the popular JDK 7 conversation someone made this quote: "On the JVM
platform there are only two other languages that I'd consider
reasonable for adoption: Scala and Clojure."  It's an interesting
statement to me given the current culture in my company.  I actually
agree with this quote, but my reason isn't very scientific: those two
just "feel" like hardened options to me that move the thought barrier
forward more than others.  Between the two I've chosen Scala because
a) I didn't like Lisp when I looked into it in college and b) Scala
wasn't so black and white, making it easier for me to migrate
gradually.

Anyway, the point of my post is to discuss why Groovy is not often
mentioned in this group and is specifically left out of the quote
above.  I don't like dynamic languages, so that's my reason for not
looking into it much, but people seem to like it.  In my company it's
taken off like wildfire.  I've tried valiantly to jumpstart Scala in
my organization, not because of fanboyism but because I honestly think/
thought it would be the next step forward in the industry and I wanted
a head start.  Despite this, Groovy is more popular hands down.  I'm
just going off a feeling, but I'd place a bet that for every Scala
developer in my org there are 20 Groovy developers.  Granted, most of
Groovy's usage is in tests, but it's making its way into production
code, particularly in the way of Grails.

So I'd like to hear from others out there why this might be.  I know
Groovy can be just Java and that you can gradually make your code more
"groovy", so it's easier to learn I guess?  But that doesn't actually
make a ton of sense to me when I think about it because if I look at
some Groovy code that's really taking advantage of those features,
it's going to look so different than base Java that I suspect it
wouldn't be so different than a Java developer looking at someone's
Scala code.  And the Scala code is type safe!  And better supports
concurrency/parallelism! (I think).  Is it the near nightmare that
plagued Scala 2.7 in the tooling space?

I'm curious about everyone's thoughts...