For what it's worth, your experience matches mine as well. I see Groovy used
in a lot of different situations, ranging from headless to web apps to UI. I
think its dynamic nature prevents it from being used for heavy mission
critical stuff, but it's certainly used in a lot of other places, and tools
like Grails are getting a little bit of traction from what I can tell. And I
also agree that Groovy usage seems to dwarf Scala's right now.

--
Cédric

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 7:17 PM, Sean Griffin <trenchgui...@gmail.com> wrote:

> My intention is not as sensational as my subject, but it's succinct so
> I'll go with it.
>
> In the popular JDK 7 conversation someone made this quote: "On the JVM
> platform there are only two other languages that I'd consider
> reasonable for adoption: Scala and Clojure."  It's an interesting
> statement to me given the current culture in my company.  I actually
> agree with this quote, but my reason isn't very scientific: those two
> just "feel" like hardened options to me that move the thought barrier
> forward more than others.  Between the two I've chosen Scala because
> a) I didn't like Lisp when I looked into it in college and b) Scala
> wasn't so black and white, making it easier for me to migrate
> gradually.
>
> Anyway, the point of my post is to discuss why Groovy is not often
> mentioned in this group and is specifically left out of the quote
> above.  I don't like dynamic languages, so that's my reason for not
> looking into it much, but people seem to like it.  In my company it's
> taken off like wildfire.  I've tried valiantly to jumpstart Scala in
> my organization, not because of fanboyism but because I honestly think/
> thought it would be the next step forward in the industry and I wanted
> a head start.  Despite this, Groovy is more popular hands down.  I'm
> just going off a feeling, but I'd place a bet that for every Scala
> developer in my org there are 20 Groovy developers.  Granted, most of
> Groovy's usage is in tests, but it's making its way into production
> code, particularly in the way of Grails.
>
> So I'd like to hear from others out there why this might be.  I know
> Groovy can be just Java and that you can gradually make your code more
> "groovy", so it's easier to learn I guess?  But that doesn't actually
> make a ton of sense to me when I think about it because if I look at
> some Groovy code that's really taking advantage of those features,
> it's going to look so different than base Java that I suspect it
> wouldn't be so different than a Java developer looking at someone's
> Scala code.  And the Scala code is type safe!  And better supports
> concurrency/parallelism! (I think).  Is it the near nightmare that
> plagued Scala 2.7 in the tooling space?
>
> I'm curious about everyone's thoughts...

Cédric