Right, Scala won't be the magic bullet if you have an incompetent
team.  (Note that I don't imply that Scala will be a magic bullet if
you have a competent team)

A language that makes it harder to build up large broken codebases is
needed.  E.g., in Swing, it's really hard to unpick an evolved large
program that does concurrency wrong without breaking bits, whereas
.NET throws an exception if you instantiate a component on the wrong
thread, making that particular screwup impossible (unless you never
test the code and just keep growing it instead).