I think this is tied in with the App Store and, significantly, the
software stack on the new Airs.

The T's and C's are clear that developers can only use 'core'
technologies in their applications. The new MacBook Airs are shipping
--without Flash preinstalled-- which allows Apple to bar all Flash/Air
dependent applications, as well as Java.

So, just like iOS you have in essence to use (primarily) Apple dev
tools to write your software --if-- you want to sell it through the
App Store.

Having mulled over the whole situation, and listened to podcast 326
this evening on the way home (London to Shropshire, I needed another
30 minutes guys!) I have come to two conclusions:

Oracle really can't afford for there not to be a JVM and JDK for OS X.

If there is a gap, I will simply run Ubuntu concurrently with OS X and
run my dev environment in a VM instead.

Oracle have a good few months to sort something out.