> Major points of interest include the fact that Apple had a bunch of
> people working hard on Java over the years, and that the bulk of that
> effort was spent on AWT/Swing, which is a really big job and a really
> hard problem in the end.  That, and javax.sound, are what Soy Latte
> foundered on after all, and clearly they'd be the stumbling block for
> a community-developed Mac JVM.  Last graf is a killer.

That's why I think it's a mistake that Java insists on a UI layer.
It's a huge complication and frankly, a naive hunt for a common
denominator which can never be low enough. Any Java desktop app which
was just remotely interesting (not a whole lot to choose from), ships
with native bindings of some sort (to be able to restart, integrate
with systray, show proper filechooser etc.). So, like C#, I wish Java
was more focussed around interoperability rather than trying to
encapsulate everything and a kitchen sink. If that was the case, it
would probably be a whole lot easier for Apple to maintain. Nothing's
wrong with "write once, run anywhere"; but a multi-platform UI is a
pipe-dream that can only achieve mediocrity - which we all know Steve
Jobs does not do!