> Apple are obviously not stupid and have weighed up the lost sales to
> the Java community against the odds of them destroying a competitor
> technology.  Perhaps it’s a positive sign that they actually see it as
> a threat now.

I really doubt they are seeing it as a threat though, the typical
reasoning going on in iSteve's head is well known by now and has been
covered in other threads. Java (and Flash) has been deprecated little
by little over the years, in various subtle ways. I think it's no
coincidence that with this last stroke, Java is officially deprecated
by Apple _as_well_ as being locked out of their future app channel.

Few could have any doubt, that Apple does *not* want Java/Flash on in
any way, shape or form. Apple's "we know best" has worked out so well
for them in the past, I think they are simply applying it more broadly
to their advantage. Since they put customer experience ahead of
developers, it goes without saying that the Java developer lost out on
this one.