Fewer lines, all else being equal, will on average lead to fewer bugs.
 Programming is largely about reading, and the larger the code the
harder it is to spot a logic error.  I'm not advocating Perl-like
obfuscation ($_ anyone?), removing identifiers that have meaning, but
instead advocating removal of boilerplate, and identifiers that have
no meaning.

In a related topic, sometimes I find myself shortening code so that I
can see the bugs more clearly.  I find it very effective.