On 10/28/2010 11:18 PM, Craig Kelley wrote:
Also note the absence of generics in the Apache version.  This is
something you would lose, coming from a class file.
The 'jad' hypothesis seems convincing:

http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/dxmvr/oracle_google_directly_copied_our_java_code/c13qfov

Now, it this gets proved, I'm wondering about two blasting consequences of the thing:

1. What if part of the guilty code comes from an IBM donation to Apache? It would be IBM's fault, right? Would Oracle pursue IBM after the deal of the past week? 2. It would also be a violation of the GPL licensing, and the FSF foundation should stand up to protect the GPL - so, apparently they should back Oracle. Right? 3. Would be the FSF entitled for asking to release the whole Harmony under the GPL (+CPE) license? In cascade, wouldn't be Google forced to do the same? And, this is my point, couldn't be this the strategy by Oracle (btw, they would have just to call for the enforcing of rules of one of the most popular FLOSS licenses - difficult to argue that they're running against the community)? In the end, they would get the Java parts of the Android runtime licensed in the same way of the OpenJDK. What effect would have this to manufacturers and carriers endorsing Android?

Interesting times.

--
f.g.