I don't disagree.  Indeed, doing a complex bespoke app in force.com is
far more risky than a bespoke Java app.

But I see there being 'tool for the job' problem:

Force.com ->  Rails -> Grails -> Spring MVC/Hibernate -> JSF/JPA ->
GWT/REST

And if you are looking at creating a multi-user Access DB / Lotus
notes / Departmental workflow/CRUD app, then its in the sweet spot.

That transactional Ebay clone... not so much.