2010/12/7 Cédric Beust ♔ <ced...@beust.com>

> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 12:21 PM, Wayne Fay <wayne...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > If memory serves though, all the *really* interesting stuff starts with
>> > venture scouts, which is mixed gender.
>>
>> At least where I grew up, that was called Explorer Scouts and accepted
>> teenagers of either gender. I was part of (and briefly led) an
>> Explorer Scouts group which focused on Sailing and Boating (aka Sea
>> Scouts).
>>

> My understanding is that most Scout organizations carry a very strong
> Christian bias, including hostility toward other faiths and atheists, along
> with pronounced homophobia and similar bad stuff.
>
> I'd be careful where I send my kids.

While having a "strong Christian bias" may be true of a great many things in
the USA.  The norm in the UK (and the rest of Europe, to my knowledge) is
for organisations to be free from any religious affiliation, this is also
true of the Scouts.

If anything, being openly Christian is the surest way to open yourself to
suspicions of child abuse...

--
Kevin Wright

mail / gtalk / msn : kev.lee.wri...@gmail.com