From: Cédric Beust ♔ <ced...@beust.com>
To: javaposse@googlegroups.com
Sent: Wed, December 8, 2010 2:45:13 PM
Subject: Re: [The Java Posse] Re: "Women Fed Up With Open Source Community
Creeps"

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 11:40 AM, Josh Berry <tae...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 2:13 PM, Casper Bang <casper.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> blown way out of proportion. What this thread *does* demonstrate to
>> me, is how it's gotten to the point that one can not even suggest men
>> and women may simply have different core interests (and thus
>> strengths), without being labelled a Neanderthal male chauvinistic pig.
>

>The problem is the implied topic for this thread.  The idea that
>something about me intrinsically makes me a better computer
>user/programmer than my wife is incredibly suspect to me.   Worse, the
>idea that I might need to just tell my daughter that "maybe you just
>aren't good at computers because you aren't my son" is insulting.

It's hard to claim that there is nothing genetic about it, though.

It doesn't have to be offensive. I find "You don't have the mental capability"
quite offensive, but what if genetics makes it so that the *interest* in this
kind of activity is simply not there? Or maybe just a matter of taste, like
food
or color preference?

Maybe I could be a great lawyer, I just don't have any interest in that
profession, and it's probably for genetic and maybe gender related reasons. Why
not extend this line of thought to computer science?
--
Cédric