On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 11:40 AM, Josh Berry <tae...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 2:13 PM, Casper Bang <casper.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > blown way out of proportion. What this thread *does* demonstrate to
> > me, is how it's gotten to the point that one can not even suggest men
> > and women may simply have different core interests (and thus
> > strengths), without being labelled a Neanderthal male chauvinistic pig.
>

> The problem is the implied topic for this thread.  The idea that
> something about me intrinsically makes me a better computer
> user/programmer than my wife is incredibly suspect to me.   Worse, the
> idea that I might need to just tell my daughter that "maybe you just
> aren't good at computers because you aren't my son" is insulting.

It's hard to claim that there is nothing genetic about it, though.

It doesn't have to be offensive. I find "You don't have the mental
capability" quite offensive, but what if genetics makes it so that the
*interest* in this kind of activity is simply not there? Or maybe just a
matter of taste, like food or color preference?

Maybe I could be a great lawyer, I just don't have any interest in that
profession, and it's probably for genetic and maybe gender related reasons.
Why not extend this line of thought to computer science?

--
Cédric