I think the emphasis should not be to "learn a new language" but
"don't stop learning".

It doesn't have to be a language specifically, the thing is to not sit
inside your comfort zone all the time - not least because the world
moves on even if you don't. Keeping an eye on up-and-coming languages
is part of that process. I started playing with Java about a year
before I started using it commercially. Recently it's been Android and
unstructured databases keeping me busy outside work (when I'm not
familiarising myself with yet another new framework) but with half an
eye on picking up Scala or something else functional as soon as I
think it is mainstream enough (read: cropping up regularly enough in
job postings).