Can you imagine the reaction Google's shareholders would have had if
Google had proposed buying a dying company that looked like it would
be bought by IBM, just to prevent possible patent troll attacks?  I
think they're doing the right thing, and hope that they win the case.
You can't just buy every company that has patents you infringe,
because practically everything you do in software infringes patents -
also there are some rules against monopolising.

If Google lose, presumably Oracle will then sue Microsoft, as the same
patents hit .NET in the nose.