I'm happy Phil launched this subject, since users suffer with this -
Xmx option in Sweet Home 3D application as soon as they want to create
big projects. I set the default Xmx value to 512 MB or 1 GB depending
on the system, but in fact it's not enough and I had to add the FAQ
"How can I adjust the memory used by Sweet Home 3D?" because of that
(see http://www.sweethome3d.com/faq.jsp#increaseMaxMemory ).

> I like Azul's approach, just give it 40 gig (-Xmx40g) and their GC
> sorts out the rest.  They even hand memory back to the OS.

Miserably, it won't work in some 32 bits OS! And as the Xmx value must
be given before program launch, this obliges you to program a
complicated system (with an installer or a special script for example)
to find out what value will be accepted. And of course such a system
can't be used in an applet environment.
Under Windows, I've even seen users unable to run Sweet Home 3D with -
Xmx1024m! As I never found out why, I was obliged to set -Xmx to 512
under this system. :-(

> I would go even further and say that writing java applications with
> unknown memory requirements is not that professional :P

How can I require people to have a 64 bits machine with 4 GB of
memory, if Sweet Home 3D works great with less than 256 MB in most
situations?

I agree there should be a JVM option that would say "use as much
memory as the system will let you". If this option implies more GC, I
don't mind, at least users won't have a bad feeling about how a Java
program works. Do you know any way to push Oracle to implement this
option?