On Aug 13, 4:26 am, Alan Kent <alan.james.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not a great analogy really is it? I don't know of any widely used OS that
> requires every process to say how much memory it's going to use before it
> even starts running.
>
> In fact this post really highlighted to me how restrictive the approach is!
> Forget writing an app that can adapt to different inputs dynamically!!! You
> have to pick memory size first.  No wonder java is only serious for server
> side stuff.

Its not as restrictive as it might seem. -Xmx is the max memory the
JVM is allowed to take its not what it takes at startup. There is also
-Xms which is the start size.

Java is not on the desktop since it has serious deployment issues.
Once they are solved nobody will complain about things like those
flags anymore since they could be easily picked by the launcher (@see
NetBeans which picks -Xmx for you).

Don't get me wrong, a resizing heap would be nice to have but i bet
almost everyone will try to disable it. If we would have it right now
we would complain about things like:
 - eclipse eats all my memory and never frees anything
 - everytime when i hit "rafactor" the jvm stops, my heap grows and if
i stop refactoring the jvm stops again and the heap shrinks.. lets add
a feature called -Xmx :)

regards,
michael