On Jun 19, 2012, at 12:39 AM, Casper Bang wrote:

> This topic, of course, has nothing to do with the original.
>
> Nope, it was a tangent born out of a desire to show clay the difference
> between "bashing" and complains about things you actually work with on a
> daily basis.
>
> The problem with these criticisms is that these are actually fairly hard
> problems to solve.   For example, how would you update the versions without
> modifying the poms in trunk so that they can be committed? By checking out a
> whole new copy of the project?
>
> You already have /trunk checked out, so all that wold be required is a local
> copy operation followed by an update. Bottom line, nobody can use a failed
> release that leaves /trunk in some unknown mutated state. If something fails,
> I want the report, I will try to take appropriate actions to correct the
> problem and try releasing the n+1 version again - hopefully successfully this
> time around.

This is really the wrong list to discuss how to address this. However, I don't
follow how a local copy followed by an update helps. You have to modify trunk
to commit the version change back. If for some reason the release is bad
(missing files, bad signature, etc)  you need to roll it all back even though
it was already committed to source control and tagged.

Ralph