Google's guava project is a solid utility library providing many useful
interfaces and utilities, and it is a very commonly added dependency for
most projects. Unfortunately, they have a strong NIH syndrome and are
somewhat half-pregnant when it comes to functional-programming. This
library attempts round out some of the deficiencies that a functional
programmer finds when using Guava.

It will be really interesting to watch how the whole ecosystem of standard
library addons will react when Java 8 starts to gain traction and
substantial use.

Definitely, because from the latest exchanges here it sounds as many of us will need some third party stuff to fully exploit the functional features in Java. For collections I've always stuck with the standard library, but I could depart from this standard in future. But I'm a little worried about a possible proliferation of multiple, incompatible libraries. I'd be interested in knowing why Google rejected the patches submitted by Atlassian (I interpret their comment as the fact that they tried to provide patches...).

--
Fabrizio Giudici - Java Architect @ Tidalwave s.a.s.
"We make Java work. Everywhere."