On Friday, 2 November 2012 07:02:38 UTC+11, fabrizio.giudici wrote:

> … I'm a little worried
> about a possible proliferation of multiple, incompatible libraries. I'd be
>
> interested in knowing why Google rejected the patches submitted by
> Atlassian (I interpret their comment as the fact that they tried to
> provide patches...).

We – and others – have tried to submit patches to Guava several times and
were basically met with a stone-wall, normally various excuses about some
internal thing or other, and then Kevin came out and basically said[1] they
were never going to take any submissions from outside, so please stop
trying.

Fugue[2] was written as it became increasingly obvious that any sane
functional library code would be deliberately subverted as the Guava team
don't like it [3] and have no intention of supporting it except
accidentally.

BTW Fugue isn't our only functional library code, we have recently added a
Promise[4] to atlassian-util-concurrent[5] that gives a much saner
interface to the whacky ListenableFuture stuff.

I'm somewhat disheartened by this whole thread though, I was really hoping
java8 might bring some sanity to functional programming in Java. There
seems though to be much investment from some parts of the community in
making sure it doesn't happen, and no good reason for it. I have spoken
with Brian Goetz, he's a great guy but he alone cannot do all of lambda as
well as implement really good standard FP lib. Hopefully they'll get more
resources so they can round things out, but there'd be a lot more than just
having map/flatMap on Option (think immutable collections for instance).

[1] https://plus.google.com/113026104107031516488/posts/ZRdtjTL1MpM
[2] https://bitbucket.org/atlassian/fugue/
[3] http://code.google.com/p/guava-libraries/wiki/FunctionalExplained
[4]