The problem with not updateing to the latest version of Avast (or any other anti-virus program, for that matter), is that you may leave yourself vulnerable to security holes or other bugs that compromise the program's performance.

Gerald

----- Original Message ----- From: "John M." <jobhun...@box547.com>
To: <jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com>
Sent: Monday, January 25, 2010 11:03 AM
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] New Avast Free 5.0 not accessible with Jaws.

I sent a note off to the Avast people this morning, regarding the apparent lack of screen reader support in version 5. My guess is that the version 4 product is going to be supported for some time to come, so I don't think there needs to be a mass rush to remove Avast. I am going to sit back and see if they are receptive to making changes that will allow screen reader access.

Over the past several years, I have grown very fond of the Avast product. I will say that I do have MSE installed on one of my computers and it is also a very good solution.

On an unrelated note, many of our customers computers have AVG installed. During the past month, we have seen an alarming number of viruses that AVG is letting through. We have been removing AVG and installing either Avast or MSE, with very good results.

I will post any response that I receive from Avast. It may help if other screen reader users also drop them a note. Send it to: supp...@avast.com.

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stanley Smith" <ssm...@mastnet.net>