John:

As a VR director, how does one get around the issue of landing a job that has proprietary software and JAWS, nor any other text to speech software, does not work with it?

Jerry
----- Original Message ----- From: "John R Vaughn" <jrvaugh...@comcast.net>
To: <jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com>
Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2012 3:36 PM
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] Trapeze Booking Software

Charlene, As a former assistive technology trainer in Florida and state VR
director in Virginia, You might call Freedom Scientific and ask them that
question. I would also contact the local state VR agency for their help in testing the software or help in making the software accessible if it is not.
I also suspect that the local transit company receives federal funds and
must make the job accessible to you, a possible employee.
In my training consulting job, I have gone into possible employment sites
with VR clients and been allowed to either get a copy of the software to try
or put jaws on one of the business's computer to take the software for a
test drive. I am not suggesting you need to make a lot of noise at this
point in time, but pursue your own interest with the available resources
including the screen reader vender and state resources. This is particularly
true if you meet the qualifications for the job.
You might also want to check with the company's that make other screen
readers to see if there is any one of these that is accessible with the
product.
Hopefully, the software will work either out of the box or with some
scripting. And Jaws is a powerful program with all the new capabilities of
this product I have used since 1990.
Good luck on the job interview.
John