Hi Sandy,
If you set the reading pane to be either off, or at the bottom of the message
list, that should sort the problem out. You can do this by going the view tab
(alt+v), tabbing to the reading pane menu button, pressing it  and then
choosing one of the above options.
This is covered in the Customizing section of this guide to windows live mail
2011:
http://goo.gl/mnHqJ

David.