Hi Sandy,
Windows live mail should remember its settings. If you change the setting,
close the program, and then reopen it, has it remembered the setting? If so,
then try shutting down the computer and restarting it. Is the setting still ok?
I presume that you're shutting down the computer using the start menu, and not
just powering it off.

David.