Hi Jorge,
You were asking me why can't I scan for viruses from desktop?
I use Microsoft Security Essentials and I find that the full scan process of
this antivirus program is just too sluggish for my liking anyway.
When you are in Safe Mode, if I understand this correctly, scanning for viruses
in safe mode is much quicker.

I would also like to add that Safe Mode is a good place to be if you are trying
to rectify any problems you may be having on your computer. I know from
experience that the technicians at the computer store, where I take my computer
to for fixing, use safe mode to do their work.
So here's a thought for all of you listers.
For those of us, who are on limited financial income, if we knew how to go into
safe mode at home, and even with sighted help, could fix our own computers
ourselves and still have that computer store money in our pockets.

Thanks again for your help.

Take care,

Jacques