George and anyone else, I learned of another way to select a block of cells. lets say you know a block of text that you want to copy, move, perform functions on, etc. and you know it ranges from b1 to h9, press the goto function, usually f5, at least in Excel 2010, and type in the range b1:h9 and press enter. the range should be selected to do whatever function you want. this was a function in Excel 2003 and it carried over into later versions, but don't know if it is mentioned or if Excel users know about it. cool!