Hi,

On Wed, 2002-03-13 at 23:53, Jason Dillon wrote:

> It will however complicate the management of the system dramatically...
> actually any of the solutions/hacks which have been mentiond will only
> complicate.

Yeah, everything is more complicated than "copy to deploy dir". But then
people want and need this stuff because of the dependency problems
behind it.

> Some users might like N*, some might like directories... the system
> should be able to handle both... lets not force one or the other.

I don't think so. Implement one or the other but supporting both is
going to be a nightmare from a maintenance standpoint. Imagine a user
using the numbered order in a directory configuration. *shiver*

Alternative: make it pluggable and support EITHER the one OR the other
but not both. And leave the ability of the user just dropping an
arbitrarily named [j|e|w|s]ar file into deploy/ w/o thinking about
dependencies. This is still one of my top-10 favorite features from
JBoss: just drop the archive into deploy/ and *boom* you're up and
running.

As Marc points out repeatedly: KISS. Giving a choice of two methods is
going to lead into problems sooner or later. My personal vote would be
for a "ordered by number" solution as you can quickly see the order of
deployment by just typing 'ls' or 'dir' instead of having to watch N
separate directories.

Let's see how the vote amongst the users at the london training will go.

Christian