David,

You can add any extension to the archive mode with the following code in
your .emacs:

(setq auto-mode-alist (cons '("\\.sar$" . archive-mode)
auto-mode-alist))
(setq auto-mode-alist (cons '("\\.war$" . archive-mode)
auto-mode-alist))
(setq auto-mode-alist (cons '("\\.ear$" . archive-mode)
auto-mode-alist))

Share and Enjoy,
James