> I think it is better to use the jars from the module output directory,
> cause the exact location under build/output will change from version to
> version.

What build/output will change from version to version?

> Is there any way to make Eclipse create jars?

Go under the file menu to export.  Choose jar file and follow the wizard.

> Or any way to make it conditionally compile stuff for 1.3 and others for
1.4?

Right click on a project and go to properties.  Select Java Compiler on the
left.  If you click on the "Use project settings" radio button then you can
set any custom compiler options you want including setting the compiler
compliance level (1.3 or 1.4).

> Or a way to force it to use ant to do all compiles?

Right click on your project and go to properties again.  Click on External
Tools Builders.  Click on the New... button and select Ant Build.  On the
build options tab you can specify if you want to have this run for Full
builds, Incremental builds, and/or Auto builds.

-Phil