Hi guys,

Over the past two weeks I have started to make a few improvements the
current JBossMQ implementation that is in CVS HEAD.  I would consider a
large porting of what I did refactoring to simplify the current code
base to allow future growth without having to sacrifice current features
or performance.

I just wanted to give provide an update on the development status of the
original JBossMQ client-server JMS implementation.

Here's a summary of what has changed:

- It exclusively uses the remoting subsystem for client server
communications.  The existing IL subsystem has been removed.  The
'async' remoting protocol allows two way communications solely over
client sockets (this should allow applet/firewalled clients to connect
to the server).  Multiple JMS connections made by the client will also
share a singe pool of sockets to communicate with the server.
- Manually creating JBossMQ ConnectionFactory objects have been
simplified since a remoting URI takes care setting up most of the
connection options.
- The server interceptors have been simplified since they now operate on
a typeless invocations (it now matches the style of the other jboss
interceptors)
- The implementations for the p2p and pub/sub JMS API classes have been
consolidated since that is the direction that the JMS 1.1 API is taking
(being able to mix the us of p2p and pub/sub with in the same session).
- Many (almost all) of the bug fixes/performance enhancements made in
the 3.2 branch have been ported forward.
- All the PMs except JDBC2 have been removed to make it easier to more
quickly make enhancements to the persistence manager interface.  I hope
a cmp/jdo implementation can be created in the future.
- the old org.jboss.mq.xml package that provided a simple xml dom was
removed and all code that was using was changed to use dom4j instead.
- JNDI Reference object handling was simplified (only StringRefs are
used).
- The sources were refactored so that the back-end messing server is
much less coupled the javax.jms.* classes.  The server side is still
importing many of the JMSException classes, this can be cleaned up in
the future.  This might start to lead the way to allow this messaging
server to support other messaging APIs (JavaSpaces?)

Things to watch out for with this new version:
- The jboss API to manually create ConnectionFactory and Destination
objects has changed.  Most users should not be affected since the JMS
spec states that they should be using JNDI to get those objects.
- Previous JBossMQ clients will not be able to connect to this new
server version (since it is using remoting for communications).  Those
clients need to upgrade their jbossmq-client.jar.
- The message format has changed so the new server will not be able to
restore messages saved to persistence storage by the new server.

I hope to commit the changes CVS in the next few days.  I have 3 jms
test cases that I still need to fix and then I still need to run the MDB
test cases.

Regards,
Hiram

--