pohl wrote:

> Another piece of the puzzle is a sysvinit script that
> responds to start, stop, and restart -- and does the right
> thing.

You can use these ones as a starting point:
http://www.mail-archive.com/jboss-user@list.working-dogs.com/msg12192.html

> I suppose another way to make this less ugly would be to figure
> out how to run Tomcat/JBoss in the same process where Tomcat
> is using Apache as the request handler through mod_jk.  I
> haven't seen anybody report success with this,

Then I would like to report success with this.  See the petstore demo on
apache+tomcat+jboss, where tomcat+jboss is run as a non-privileged user:
http://www.jboss.org/business/petstore_frames.html

The latest versions of JBoss_Tomcat now start the AJP Connector declared
in server.xml, so it is not very different from Apache+Tomcat alone.

Sebastien