Penn,

1) Does it work for Netscape (or some other browser than IE)?  If it
does, it's not a server-side problem.

2) Do you have the proper fonts installed?  (Remember difference between
traditional and simplified Chinese.)

3) In a past project I did with SSL Apache hitting WebLogic 5.1 sp6, we
had to support multiple languages, including English, French,Spanish,
Portuguese, German, Russian, Japanese and Simplified Chinese.  We
decided the best way to go was UTF-8.  It worked great for various
levels of both Netscape and IE.  Three things were key, though:
        1) Setting the content-type and encoding had to happen before anything.
We used a Servlet to RequestDispatch to the JSPs, so to be anal we set
the header there AND in the JSPs, AND in the Meta-tags.
        2) Obviously, the database needed to be created in UTF-8 for all data
that would be splatted back out on the page.
        3) Even our static pages had to be defined UTF-8.  For example, there was
a bug with Netscape where if the index page of the site specified (or
defaulted to) anything besides UTF-8, Netscape would cache that setting
for that domain, and would ignore anything else specified later on.
Is UTF-? an option for you to use?

David