1. You don't need to pack firebird-service.xml, it can be a module itself.

2. the jboss specific modules are intended to be in jboss-app.xml, not
application.xml, like this:

  <module>
>   <service>firebird-service.xml</service>
>  </module>
>
>  <module>
>   <service>app-management.sar</service>
>  </module>

although it appears that putting them in application.xml may have worked.

I don't see what is wrong.  What happens if you

1. try not specifying a different loader repository in jboss-app.xml
2. just cast the interfaces rather than using portable remote
object.narrow?

david jencks