It's contagious, ain't it:)

        -----Original Message-----
        From: David Ward [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Sent: Thu 12/4/2003 8:28 PM
        To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Subject: Re: [JBoss-user] JBoss On Linux

        Rod,

        Input appreciated and respected, however I think to help Peter we need
        to keep off the performance bunny hole.  He never said performance was
        his problem.

        As a side note, you're right: what you tested (startup time) was far
        from a valid performance benchmark.  JVMs intended to boost server
        performance don't try to be fast for startup times (if you want that,
        use the -client jvm option, not -server).  They care more about being
        fast for things servers care about after they're already up and running
        - like handling multiple threads quickly, optimizing server hotspots
        like network connections, and effective memory management of large heaps
        under load, etc.  Besides, I take benchmarks with a grain of salt - each
        custom app does different things, and thus it's impossible that a
        generic benchmark is going to tell you what you really need to know -
        how does tool A stack up against tool B with YOUR application...

        Oh shoot, now you got me goin' down the bunny hole.  Seriously, Peter -
           my guess is you've either got a resource leak or an inappropriate
        resource configuration.  Start by looking at file descriptors.

        Just my 2 cents (again),
        David

        Rod Macpherson escribió:

        > Downloaded JRockit and launched a large J2EE application in debug mode.
JBoss started in 1:24. Using Sun's JDK 1.4 JVM the same application started in 1:32. I
would call that a noise-level improvement given JRockit is a commercial product
focused on performance. Not a valid benchmark but then if your compiled code is really
all that you would expect to see more than a fraction of 1% improvement. Conclusion:
JRockit is not worth the disk space it's sitting on:)

Optimizeit
        >       (http://www.borland.com/optimizeit/optimizeit_profiler/), etc.
        >
        >       Last, maybe there really isn't a leak, but the nature of your
        >       application, plus the crons that run at specific times, just simply
        >       require more file descriptors than what your system has configured.
        >       Upping that value might prove to be all you need to do.  If it never
        >       grows past that max, you're set - no leak.  Unfortunately, without
doing
        >       some surfing, I can't tell you where to set it for your system, or what
        >       the best value should be.  I'll leave that as an exercise for you.  ;)
        >
        >       Anyway, hope this helps.  And sorry in advance if it ends up leading
you
        >       down the wrong path.  I just wanted to share what your problem "smelled
        >       like" to me.
        >
        >       David
        >

        >       Peter Luttrell escribió:
        >
        >       > We're using JBoss3.2.1 with Jetty on RedHat 9 with Suns 1.4.2_01 vm.
We
        >       > have a pretty heavy load.
        >       >
        >       > After roughly a week many of the boxes start to experience weird
        >       > problems where JBoss is unable to get what looks to be socket
        >       > connections. In some cases, we cannot contact our mailserver, in
other
        >       > cases we cannot contact our database; in the latest case we're
unable to
        >       > get a connection to the local jndi server (localhost:1099).
Sometimes a