I was very surprised to see that we had a problem getting a connection to the jndi service as well. I had assumed it was in-vm. We haven't modified conf/jndi.properties; we get our context manually.  We set java.naming.provider.url to jnp://localhost:1099.  I just noticed the following in the conf/jndi.properties file:
# Do NOT uncomment this line as it causes in VM calls to go over RMI!
#java.naming.provider.url="">
So it looks like setting it to jnp://localhost:1099 could really be adding to the socket load on the box, and thus we could be running out of file descriptors after a week or so, which is roughly how long we can stay running. Does this sound plausible?

As far as stack size, our default is 8m. Does anyone have any recommendations on what we should set this too? Or suggestions on determining what is appropriate for our particular situation?

thanks.
.peter