OK, here's one.  Do you still have the old project file handy?  If so, can
you check the lines that contain the above variables and verify that they
look like this:

 '(<var> <value> t)
                 ^

The presence of `t' here is what tells JDE to put the value into the
customized-value property upon load.  If it is missing, then that's your
reason why the new project file doesn't contain those variables.

/Nick