John Cobo writes:
 > Paul,
 >
 > I am looking to set up a shared JAVA development
 > environment on a (UNIX) server which allows several
 > developers to use it from their clients PCs.
 >
 > I am new to this stuff, but it seems that Forte, Net
 > Beans, etc. all assume that the user is sitting on the
 > machine they are developing on.  Correct ?

I don't know.

 > Am I correct in thinking that your JDEE allows a
 > single set up of the JDK, Emacs, Tomcat, Web server,
 > any shared JAR, WAR files for the development team,
 > etc. on a shared server.  Developers can then 'simply'
 > access the environment through a window on to the
 > server ?

Do you mean use a shell window running
on a PC to open an instance of Emacs on a Unix server
and then interact with the Emacs running on Unix
through the shell window running on the PC? Although
I've never tried working this way, I'm pretty sure
it would break some of the JDEE's features. A better
bet would be to run X Servers on the PCs that would
allow the PC users to start instances of Emacs on
the Unix server that could then display on the PC
in a full window that supports all JDEE features.
You could use the server to maintain a shared
source code repository from which developers created
their own sandboxes on their PCs.

I am copying this reply to the JDE mailing list'
in the hopes that other JDE developers who have had
more experience developing web server apps  can give you some
advice.

Paul