Clearing out email and discovering that I never responded to this:

John Cobo writes:

# I am new to this stuff, but it seems that Forte, Net Beans, etc. all
# assume that the user is sitting on the machine they are developing
# on.  Correct ?

No. Netbeans and Forte for Java (which is built on Netbeans) do not
make that assumption. You can install it on a networked directory and
have several users run it at the same time; user preferences etc (such
as which modules are installed etc) are stored in a file that is in
the users own directory.

You can run multiple instances of the IDE on a single machine too (or
terminals to a single server such as SunRays), though there are
currently a couple of things that users may need to set manually when
it comes to sharing ports for processes such as when the IDE starts a
web server to execute web apps. Most ports are changed automatically,
but there are a few that aren't yet. I don't remember exactly now, but
I think users may have explicitly to set the port number for the
tomcat server to execute a web app.

Ana