JDEE can be used pretty well with a dumb terminal, but I like to use
xt-mouse so that I at least have mouse support.  I don't know what you do
about packages like Speedbar that open new frames.   Most of the time I do
as Paul suggested -- I run a PC X client (Exceed) into our Unix server.

Yes, you can and should certainly set up shared resources on the Unix
server.  Probably most of your jar files and Unix executables (emacs) will
shared.  Each developer will probably want his/her own web server and
development workspace. Of course each developer will also have a personal
.emacs file that s/he  will waste hours honing ;-)

Our development shop has a nightly jar file that is compiled on and
published (via samba) from a Unix server.  Developers can either develop
directly on PCs (Windows and Linux) or use Exceed to run Xterms and emacs on
the Unix server.  I like doing my development on the Unix server because I
find it easier to continue working on the files when I get home and access
the Unix server from home.  I now have a fast enough pipe that I can viably
throw xterms and emacs windows across the internet, but if you have slower
connection you might want to do you editing locally at home and occasionally
pump the files back to ther server at work. I used to use mac's ange-ftp
(which now has a new name) for this. Other folks do their development on PCs
using NT-emacs or a variety of PC-based editors and IDEs.  We use CVS for
version control and that works well from PC, Linux or Solaris.

Hope that helps.