At 01:30 PM 2/25/02 -0500, Paul Kinnucan wrote:
>John Cobo writes:
>  > Paul,
>  >
>  > Am I correct in thinking that your JDEE allows a
>  > single set up of the JDK, Emacs, Tomcat, Web server,
>  > any shared JAR, WAR files for the development team,
>  > etc. on a shared server.  Developers can then 'simply'
>  > access the environment through a window on to the
>  > server ?
>  >

>Do you mean use a shell window running
>on a PC to open an instance of Emacs on a Unix server
>and then interact with the Emacs running on Unix
>through the shell window running on the PC? Although
>I've never tried working this way, I'm pretty sure
>it would break some of the JDEE's features. A better
>bet would be to run X Servers on the PCs that would
>allow the PC users to start instances of Emacs on
>the Unix server that could then display on the PC
>in a full window that supports all JDEE features.
>You could use the server to maintain a shared
>source code repository from which developers created
>their own sandboxes on their PCs.

At my company, the Unix disks can be mounted on the PC using samba, so that
it looks like a network drive.  I then run emacs on my PC, and can read and
compile the files on the Unix disk.  Actually running the code requires a
window on the Unix machine*.  This may work better or worse, depending on
(at least) the availability of samba, and whether the net lag is worse for
interacting with emacs or for writting the class files.

Troy

* You could probably configure jde to execute an rsh command to run the code.
Troy Daniels
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
781-273-3388 x218