> Well, we should ask ourself then, what can we do to make them see all the
other
> possibilities?
> I don't know about everyone else, but I think manny got first involved
because of the
> transports. I know it was the reason for me too, but after a (short) while
you start to
> really appriciate the IM capabilities of jabber itself, and after that all
the other
> possibilities and oppertunities too. I think that now though, the time
they spend on
> jabber and the tranports is so short (because it simply doesn't work that
well
> anymore) that they give up before they even get to see what else it can
do.

I really agree. It's a double-edged sword, Jabber gets a lot of press
because it's instant messaging but some people can't seem to go beyond that,
when it's real power lies in the extensibility and elegance of the protocol
itself. 'come for the instant messaging, stay for the protocol'

I had posted a reply to the article, about this subject, and someone
mentioned possibly renaming the protocol in order to help people realise
this. I would prefer not to change Jabber into some opaque-sounding acronym,
but I can see how at least getting rid of the 'instant' part of Jabber
instant messaging could help redefine jabber into something a bit sexier.

Chris Hill