> ["Official Jabber client"]
>> I understand the position, but I disagree.  Your average general IM user
>> does not want to make an 'informed choice'.  They want to click on a link
>> and download a client and have it be a fairly simple and mindless
>> sign-up-and-get-online process.
>
> On my server Psi is the "official client". There are downloads that bundle
> Psi with fitting SSL certificates for this server, with localization
> resources and some additional icons. There is a small introduction on how
> to set up Psi. So, "Psi" is the "official client" for jabber.fsinf.de, if
> you like to say so. Most users of this server use Psi and seem satisfied.

This is exactly the sort of example I meant in terms of an 'official
client'.  It doesn't have to be for all of Jabber, just for whatever this
system is.

>> On top of which, I don't believe the push is for a 'single official
>> client'.  As I understand it, the push is for a Jabber entry portal --
>> call it Jabber.net -- which provides for simple sign-up, and a single
>> place for tech support for a given client that obscures most of the
>> complexity of Jabber.
>
> I don't see why this would be beneficial for Jabber as a whole. A single
> server obviously is not the way to go so why should a single portal for
> information be better? What if we present a list of servers on that portal
> but many of those servers are unstable or poorly run? Why would jabber.net
> be more appropriate than say a dozen servers that have full localization,
> run stable and that actually provide information on their WWW pages? What
> about us.jabber.org, fr.jabber.org and de.jabber.org (as an example)?

Because, right now, if a newbie wants to sign up for Jabber, they go to
Jabber.org.  They find a page with a confusing list of clients, and a list
of public servers.  And beyond that, they're pretty well on their own
unless they go and find a FAQ or walkthrough.

In contrast, if they go to get ICQ, they find a (very ugly and tangled)
website that lets them download the software, lets them search for people
by interests and look them up to see 'gosh, is my friend on this system',
and so on.  If they go to the AIM site, they find a nice single download
they click on and a web interface for signing up for an account, and find
help and tech support for either.

A portal that has an 'official client,' and help and tutorials for that
client, and various other features that people expect from an IM portal...
and which, for example, has servers in different areas, and picks the
'best' server for you based on location and signs you up and gives you all
your login info...  well, that'll be something that I honestly do believe
will spur jabber adoption.

- --
Rachel Blackman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Trillian Messenger - http://www.trillian.cc/