On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 01:21:29PM +0100, Mikael Hallendal wrote:
> m?n 2003-12-01 klockan 19.05 skrev Peter Saint-Andre:
> > On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 06:23:16PM +0100, Magnus Henoch wrote:
> > > XMPP IM states in section 11.3 that a resource with a negative
> > > priority will not receive message or presence stanzas.  What will
> > > happen to those stanzas instead?
> > >
> > > For example, if a client sets negative priority when the user is away,
> > > will it receive notification of accumulated presence changes when it
> > > sets a positive priority again, and similarly for messages?  Or is it
> > > simply a bad idea to rely on such behavior?
> >
> > Those stanzas get sent to /dev/null -- if you don't like that behavior,
> > don't set your presence to a negative number. ;-) This functionality is
> > mainly for non-chat nodes, rather than normal IM clients.
>
> Oh :((( I had really been waiting for this in the servers since it would
> make it possible to not have messages delivered to clients that are
> away.

XMPP-IM-20 (not out yet, see the "ietf" module in JabberStudio CVS) has
been updated. Messages will only be delivered to a client that has sent
negative presence if the message is explicitly addressed to their
resource - ie, they won't receive messages addressed to the user.

However, presence changes will go to all available sessions, as before.
If it wasn't this way, then there'd be little point having negative
presence - you might as well just not send it.

jabberd2 implements it this way right now, FWIW.

Rob.

Email+Jabber: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                Web: http://cataclysm.cx/