> Wikipedia (and its syntax), thus a Medawiki-based place is an
> excellent way to go.

Wikipedia is the only wiki that works AFAIK, and that is because it
has a huge amount of review. All other Wikis I have seen and used so
far have failed, and caused more confusion and misinformation than
actually give good information.

When I surf to jabber.org, I want to see a professional looking page
with 2 things:
- A 3-line explanation of what jabber is
- A button with "Join now", which creates me an account on the Jabber
network by only asking me questions that I know the answer to (Name,
Email, Preferred login name)
What I do see is:
- A website that looks like a perpetual work in progress. Pretty
scary, doesn't really sound like a good IM service to me.
- About 50 links, many of which are uninteresting (the sidebar,
because it's a wiki)
- "Create account" links that don't create a Jabber account
- Links to events that have passed, but nobody dares to touch the
front page, because nobody owns that page
- Links to things like 'discussion' that give me an error
- A quickstart guide that tells me to pick a server (a what? why?)
- A box saying that there have been GMail issues. When was that? This
morning? Last week? It seems this Jabber thing has lots of issues with
GMail, because it's been there for quite a while. (Why is it there?
Exactly, nobody dares to touch it)

Want me to go on? :)

Anyway, I'm not going to rant about Wikis anymore, this isn't helping.
I do believe that Peter's suggestion is a good one: one simple page to
get people hooked up with Jabber fast, that we can refer people to if
they want to chat on Jabber. One translator per language would be nice
to have the site translated, with a good system in place that notifies
of changes (which shouldn't happen often) to this page.

cheers,
Remko