On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 1:00 PM, Remko Tronçon <re...@el-tramo.be> wrote:
>> We already have strong local communities worldwide that do an amazing job :
>
> I still think there's more value in making jabber.org a uniform
> service across international boundaries, the way Peter described.

But all the past initiatives have failed to bring contributions...

The process of centralizing contributions in english at jabber.org,
and then translate to many language.jabber.org subdomains... and
update, and update, will be quite heavy, and the synchronization is
quite undoable, we don't have a framework for that.

If we do Wikipedia-like, which means no coordination or so between
languages, then what's the added value to host the language on
jabber.org?

> Every local community doing its own thing is nice and fun, but it's
> confusing to newcomers as well.

True, but the contribution barrier is lower.
What we can do is just mention the local community in the central
jabber.org site, instead of re-doing its work.

> It also means that you have a Jabber
> ID that is bound to the particular service.

Can you explain?

> I think that localized versions of the same site would have much more
> impact, less investment (localized sites don't need to run their own
> jabber service), and would be much more practical.

True for the service hosting.

Untrue for the practical aspect, only from a centralized point of
view. Contributors to the central place would have to follow a heavy
process through english and his language. Plus it would fork the local
community.

I maybe repeating, but IMHO we should just *first* gather
contributors, *then* inquire what's done in local communities, bring
the ideas to jabber.org and implement them the 'rough consensus' way,
*and then* translate to languages IF the corresponding local community
is not yet existent.

Who can help? Who can read and review what follows?

For example, if we just keep in the wiki perimeter, we (JabberFr) have:
* Made a kickstart wiki-based wizzard named "Jabber in ten minutes
with [client]", including animated GIFs screencasts and "Next"
buttons, quite a heavy work, not be dropped, but updated
  http://wiki.jabberfr.org/Jabber_en_dix_minutes_avec_Spark
  http://wiki.jabberfr.org/Jabber_en_dix_minutes_avec_Gajim
  http://wiki.jabberfr.org/Jabber_en_dix_minutes_avec_Psi
* drafted "portals": user, dev, admin, enterprise (to be done,
somewhere in time)
  http://wiki.jabberfr.org/Portail:Utilisateur
  http://wiki.jabberfr.org/Portail:D%C3%A9veloppeurur
  http://wiki.jabberfr.org/Portail:Administrateur
  http://wiki.jabberfr.org/Portail:Entreprise
* inventoried and classified clients: almost exhaustively up-to-date
  http://wiki.jabberfr.org/Clients

All we have to do here, is just copy-paste-translate the already
existing framework, if you think these are good ideas.

Anyone who wants two cents? ;-)

Nÿco
--
Nicolas Vérité (Nÿco) mailto:nicolas.ver...@gmail.com