On Wed Mar 11 18:16:32 2009, Remko Tronçon wrote:
> > We should be prepared to answer the question why Jabber? My
> sister has a
> > Skype account and her friends also have one. Why should she
> download
> > this Jabber thing? Don't answer with freedom and open -- that has
> no
> > meaning for the average user.
>
> As a goal, this doesn't say much to the average user indeed.
> However,
> you could swing it in a way that says "Connects/Works with/...
> popular
> services such as Google Talk, Live Journal, ..." Security could
> indeed
> also appeal to some (I think people like to hear that what they're
> doing is 'secure', they don't even need to understand).
> Accountability
> and transparency, that I don't really know why that would be useful.

Oh. I didn't think this was about useful. I thought this was about
convincing Dirk's sister with impressive sounding buzzwords that we
can backup with some kind of fact.

> I agree we should make a strong case for switching. And that's why
> we
> need deployed and working features such as Jingle to leverage this.

Jingle, etc, yes. But really, we need to make it cool. The only way I
can see to do that is to add on social networking as a core feature
of "Jabber".

Dave.
--
Dave Cridland - mailto:d...@cridland.net - xmpp:d...@dave.cridland.net